The month of the Holy Rosary is October and this entire month is dedicated to the Rosary. The feast of the Rosary is held on October 7th in memory of the glorious and triumphant victory at the battle of Lepanto. That battle was the most convincing military victory that proved without a doubt the great power of the Rosary.
The month of October is a good time to commit to praying the Rosary everyday. The Rosary will bring great peace and holiness to your life. It is a powerful instrument for conversion. The Rosary is the best method of honoring Mary. It protects the Church from false teachings and keeps her safe from the attacks from the enemy.
There are some great ways to celebrate the month of the Holy Rosary... Pray the Rosary everyday this month.
- Pray it especially for priests.
- Make rosaries, have them blessed and give them away - children love this. You can teach a group of children to make rosaries of their own. They will really be excited about praying with a rosary they made themselves. You can give the rosaries you make to the elderly in nursing homes or mail them to prisons. Make sure you have them blessed by a priest first.
- Print up some of our Rosary booklets and hand them out to people - neighbors and friends. Children really like these as well!
- Invite a Pilgrim Virgin statue into your home and pray the Rosary everyday while it is there - It is a beautiful way to spend October. Different groups have different customs but usually a large statue of Our Lady of Fatima is taken from home to home especially during the month of October to promote the recitation of the Rosary in families. The statue usually stays with each family for one week.
- Attend Mass on October 7th, the feast of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary and on October 13th, the day of the final visit of Mary to Fatima.
October is the perfect month to get started with the daily Rosary devotion. And for those of you who are already in this beautiful habit, it is the perfect month for you to share this devotion with others.